Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

One Week Ramblings: 4/12/14 Edition (includes Spring first impressions)

My apologies for the lack of ramblings last week; I had just gotten back home from Japan and prioritized sleep and catching up with anime over blog stuff. I'll be posting some final thoughts about Winter 2014's completed anime on the "Currently Watching" page sometime soon, while the usual Introduction to Spring 2014 Anime posts will be posted in a couple of weeks after I finalize my viewing plans for the season.

But for now, there is news to talk about!

---

For fans of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, a.k.a. Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, first, the bad news: Sentai Filmworks has canceled their sub-only Blu-ray release of the show initially scheduled for May 27th, 2014. The sub-only DVD will still be released on that day.

Here, though, is the good news (possibly): they will be releasing on a later date a special Premium Edition of the show, which will include both the Blu-ray and the DVD as well as an English dub! This is the first time Sentai Filmworks has done a Premium Edition-type release, and it remains to be seen just what will be included in it, as well as whether they will also release a standard edition Blu-ray and/or DVD with the dub. Perhaps those who do not care for fancy extras might find the extra wait and the potential of having to pay higher prices unwelcome news, but for dub fans and fans who like their physical releases to be a little more high-quality, this is definitely something to be excited about despite the longer wait.

---

Some interesting license announcements have been made this week. Fans of the classics will like Discotek's latest pickups, Hols, Prince of the Sun (a.k.a. Little Norse Prince) and Sherlock Hound. If you haven't seen these yet and want to check them out first, they're already available for streaming:

Sherlock Hound (Crunchyroll)

Meanwhile, Aniplex of America has announced that they will be doing an import release of the Persona 3 movie. Available versions include a Standard Edition (available for $60) and a Collector's Edition (available for $80).

And I'm sure all you Attack on Titan fans already heard the news: the show will be airing on Cartoon Network's Toonami block, starting May 3rd!

---

While the full introduction post will come later, for now I'll talk quickly about each show that's aired that I've seen episodes of.

Mushishi: The Next Chapter is every bit as fantastic as the first season is... well, given that I've actually only seen the first four episodes of the first season. But they were all great episodes, and with the episodic nature of the show, I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything by jumping straight into season two.

The irregular at magic high school (Mahouka Koukou no Rettosei) is pretty cool, though nothing too spectacular yet. It also has a bit of a problem with having a fair number of likable girls and pretty much zero likable guys outside of the male lead. But I'll give this one another episode.

Captain Earth was good, but I can already tell that I am not going to want to deal with that Salty Dog group, so I guess this one will be one I won't be following.

La Corda d'Oro: Blue Sky had some nice music and a decent, if not particularly remarkable story. I'll give it another episode.

The World is Still Beautiful is amazing, especially the second episode. I'll probably even write a blog post on it soon. Nike is probably my favorite character this season. I'll definitely be following this one.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is a lot of fun, and had some nice moments, especially in the first part of the second episode. Chances are good I'll be following this one.

Haikyuu!! looks like fun. I like cheering on short people in sports. I'd say it has absolutely nothing to do with being short myself, but I'd totally be lying. Not entirely sure I'll be following this one but chances are good.

Baby Steps, I'll probably follow. I like the somewhat different angle it does its sports stuff, showing the main character having to start as a complete beginner. Natsu is fun, too. I imagine this will have a bit more romance than other sports shows I'm watching.

One Week Friends... this show is amazing. It's nice and gently-paced and emotional without being melodramatic, and is just an overall sweet show. Definitely following this one.

Love Live!! School Idol Project Season 2 is season 2 of Love Live!!. And since I enjoyed the first season, you can bet that I'm watching the second.

I think one episode of The Comic Artist and Assistants is enough to me. Too much perverted humor and not enough to make me care about the characters like I could with, say, Seitokai Yakuindomo.

Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara was surprisingly good. It manages some nice serious moments and has some good characters that are rather broken. Admittedly, the fact that this show has been licensed by NIS America, whose releases I always love, does make me look at this show a bit more favorably...

Soul Eater NOT! is a great spinoff; I actually like it more than the original series at the moment (though I've still only seen nine episodes of the original series). As fun as the action of the original can be, I like the coming-of-age story presented in NOT more. I'll definitely be following this one.

Chaika - The Coffin Princess was awesome. It has some nice action and some moments to help set up the worldbuilding later on, which I'm looking forward to. Hopefully this will be the action-fantasy show I've been waiting a long time for...

If you read through my Top 10 Anime of 2013 post, it should come as no surprise to you that I'm totally in love with Is the order a rabbit?.

Atelier Escha & Logy, unfortunately, has yet to be streamed, which is too bad, as it's a fantastic fantasy show with fun characters and what looks to be a cool world to explore.

No Game No Life was okay. Needs more games.

Nanana's Buried Treasure was okay. Needs more treasure hunts.

And Mekakucity Actors... what the heck is going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment